.

.

Around Here | Rooftop Views

7 comments

I just uploaded and ordered my photos from the holiday weekend and I always love reliving the happy moments-but I have to say, going through the photos made me a little home sick.  Right now, I live in a sweet New York suburb that is a just 23 minute train ride from the city- but most times, that life seems a forever away. I have a pool and a lilac tree and a beautiful little garden that can easily make me forget city life- and most times I embrace that. But sometimes, especially after visiting my family in Brooklyn, I miss it. A lot.  Growing up in downtown Brooklyn the Manhattan Skyline was always in sight and our front lawn was the stoops of pre-war brownstones. There were always people around and a terrific meal was right around the corner. No cars needed- and no need to mind the time.

Many times after coming in a little late in the am- my sister and I would call in an order for a way-past-midnight snack. 3 am deliveries were not a problem- whether it was sushi - burgers or Greek food. I miss the history of the area- the old architecture- the charm. There was one carriage house in particular that always caught my wonder- (I'll have to take a photo for you)- that has the Underground Railroad running right underneath it! The first battle of the Revolutionary War took place in my neighborhood- and it's always pretty neat thinking about this during the Fourth of July fireworks.  Could George Washington ever had imagined this skyline that grew in the footprints of his battle? Love it. 

I could write for hours about my love for my old neighborhood- and probably get myself in trouble detailing a few antics of my younger years. (My mom does read this blog once and again- and I don't think I'll ever be too old to get in trouble lol!) I can share with you a crush I had on the local beat cop whose post was just around the corner from where I lived. It took a few years- but I finally got the cutie to go out with me- and yep, we fell in love and got married. My favorite part about this story is that my mom and dad also met around the corner from each other just two blocks over.  Gotta love this place.

Anyway, I wanted to let you see a bit of this past weekend through my eyes- 



The neighborhood is always crazy bustle during the Fourth of July because the views of the Macy's Fireworks are just spectacular! Come 4pm- there were close to a thousand police officers and the streets were closed to traffic. Luckily, we were on a rooftop- away from the crowds, enjoying a barbecue with the family. The rain let up and the breeze was delightful. I love being on top of the world on "Tar Beach"- that's what we called the roof growing up! Our backyard was 6 stories up!



Perhaps the best part of the day was that I got a photo of the 4 of us all together- that NEVER happens!
Hope you had a great weekend too- and got to enjoy a your piece of home- no matter the size :)




7 comments:

  1. Looks like you all had a great time and I love the photo of the 4 of you! Great memories of growing up - you should make a scrapbook about those :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vanessa! I cant wait for my order to come in so I can play with these :)

      Delete
  2. Awesome photo of the four of you! Sounds like a great childhood!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aww! Thanks Patsy- though it seems like a forever ago in SO many ways! ;)

      Delete
  3. Ok, if we had grown up together you are the one I'd want for a BFF. It sounds like you had a great childhood and have many wonderful memories. I think when "Mom" goes on vacation and can't read the blog, you need to tell us stories of your antics. Haha. You are beautiful and have such handsome men in your life. You are blessed! I love all your July 4th photos. Ok, if we had grown up together you are the one I'd want for a BFF. It sounds like you had a great childhood and have many wonderful memories. I think when "Mom" goes on vacation and can't read the blog, you need to tell us stories of your antics. Haha. You are beautiful and have such handsome men in your life. You are blessed! I love all your July 4th photos. What a great view you had for the fireworks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry. I copy and pasted. I must have hit it twice. Haha
      ~ duh-

      Delete
    2. Denise! I don't know if I could ever commit those antics to black and white LOL! Thank you so much for your sweet words! :) I AM blessed! (BTW- I re-read your post twice before getting that you copy and pasted lol! I thought it was another way too late night for me!)

      Delete